Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Camera Debate


                  SONY                                                    VS                                        JVC         







       




      When debating these cameras I am at somewhat of a crossroad because I like both of these cameras for two different reasons. First off I like the Sony mainly for an somewhat illogical reason, it feels good in my hands. Unlike the JVC the the Sony HDV has a lot more heft to it. When I hold it it feels more solid, and I feel more comfortable with it. Even though this is most likely untrue, I feel like I have more control with it, like it is more steady. Another thing that draws me more towards the Sony are the two focus/ zoom wheels. One of the things that is most important to me is that it is easy for me to adjust focus. With the sony it is convenient to change focus by zooming in with one wheel and adjusting the focus with the other. The JVC frustrates me in that I need to toggle back in for between the focus and the zoom. In a clinch moment I like to be able adjust the focus without accidentally zooming.
   With that said the JVC has one major thing going for it, the flash memory card. The one thing that would keep me from using the sony altogether is the mini-DV tape. Few things frustrate me more than having to log and capture. On more than one occasion I have lost precious film because of an error while logging and capturing. I can hardly imagine anything worse than having a great day filming and lose all of your work because a tape deck eats your mini-DV. I have nightmares of log and capture decks that are waiting to chomp through my innocent little min-dv.
   For that reason alone I am probably more inclined to use the JVC but I will never discount a good camera because of evil tape decks. So overall it's still pretty even

 
poor mini-dv :(
ps: also the sony menu is easier for me to navigate.........so there

No comments:

Post a Comment