Wednesday, December 1, 2010

TCF 312: It will be missed

Well my time in this class has come to an end. Sadly, I can't take it again because if I could I would. I have learned more about film making and cameras in this class than any other class but mostly I will miss the level of competition in the class. Though we were not necessarily competing in the class, most of my classmates created such great work that it lifted the class to a higher standard. I learned so much from those around me and it forced me to push myself harder and try to get shots that before I didn't think I would be able to get.

      From a more technical aspect I also learned a lot of the techniques in film making. Lighting being the main one. Before this class I knew the basics of light (key, fill, back) but I didn't really understand how to actually convert what I thought a scene should look like to what it actually looks like. It was great learning about all of the important parts of lighting, all of the technical things but what I found out to be the greatest part was all the experience I got. I liked the fact that we would spend hardly any days lecturing about techniques but instead would go out and actually shoot a lit scene. I will admit there were times when I felt over my head but but that actually help me progress. If I was lost on what we were doing Rachel would force us to use the equipment and push us to understand through doing. Even when that didn't work it would inspire me to go online and see how other did it and learn that way.

      There are so many things I could gush on about this class but I am going to move on and start talking about myself because after all I suppose this class is about teaching me. So, through this class I did learn a lot about myself. Before this class I didn't find myself particularly good at any part of film making. There were a couple things that I did that I thought looked ok but nothing that I thought were really that great, but now I think that I have found what I am good at. I enjoy shooting live events, and I am fairly good with hand-held shots. Right now I am working to get better with dolly equipment and smooth shots but  I believe that I have really progressed with hand-held and I believe that I am a lot better at capturing moments that a spontaneous and real. I suppose that is why I want to shoot documentaries and I believe that this class has really gotten me closer to achieving that.

Thanks Dr. R

1 comment:

  1. Where's your reel? PLEASE POST!

    If you are having technical issues, please see these links:
    http://vimeo.com/help/compression
    http://eugenia.queru.com/2007/12/08/exporting-with-quicktime-in-720p/

    Thanks for your thoughts, I really am impressed with your growth in this class. I think you will enjoy the music video class next semester - lots of live shooting!

    Thanks for all! Hope to work with you again.

    ReplyDelete